⓵ 𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩: 𝘼 𝙁𝙧𝙖𝙢𝙚𝙬𝙤𝙧𝙠 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙈𝙤𝙙𝙙𝙞𝙣𝙜
We all want to see the High Fidelity platform evolve and grow…
From an open source standpoint, however, it can be difficult to identify the best ways to experiment and contribute results. It would be great if development paths were made clearer, so that more people could extend the platform and maintain results in parallel.
And in order to protect contributor investments, extensions would need compatibility with stock builds and better odds of working across releases.
We therefore suggest creating a *completely open source-minded* “Modkit” to help foster such contributions alongside the main application code base.
⓶ 𝙃𝙤𝙬: 𝙃𝙞𝙁𝙞 𝙊𝙥𝙚𝙣 𝙎𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙘𝙚 𝙈𝙤𝙙𝙠𝙞𝙩
With High Fidelity’s assistance we would like to bootstrap the following project components:
○ https://github.com/highfidelity/hifi/tree/master/plugins/hifiModkit (proposed) — New built-in plugin
○ https://github.com/highfidelity/hifi-modkit-sdk (proposed) — New SDK and github repo
○ https://modkit.highfidelity.io (proposed) — New API/SDK docs
An expanded version of the above is available given corresponding interest.
⓷ 𝙒𝙝𝙮: 𝙋𝙚𝙤𝙥𝙡𝙚 𝙒𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝘾𝙤𝙣𝙩𝙧𝙞𝙗𝙪𝙩𝙚
Lots of people have imagined and several have attempted extension of the High Fidelity platform, only to promptly hit significant roadblocks.
And while the existing codebase has a “plugin” concept, it is neither well-documented nor well-suited for *ongoing* development.
𝗖𝘂𝗿𝗿𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗹𝘆❟ 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝗾𝘂𝗶𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗲𝗳𝗳𝗼𝗿𝘁 𝗼𝗳 𝗱𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗽𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗶𝘀:
○ Conventional HiFi Plugin: VisualStudio, VisualStudio Dependencies, Qt, vcpkg, CMake, generate & regenerate CMake, Python, GBs of Disk Space, lib/plugins, lib/shared, Hours of Time
𝗪𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗠𝗼𝗱𝗸𝗶𝘁 𝗶𝘁 𝗯𝗲𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗲𝘀:
○ Modkit Plugin: C compiler + hifi-modkit-sdk․zip
Paving the way for future enhancements that live longer and remain effective will require a stronger foundation; a foundation like Modkit, which prioritizes open source collaboration and support for externally-managed extensions.
𝗪𝗔𝗡𝗧𝗘𝗗: [ Valve Index Controller support | Space Mouse support | Avatar Shaders | Custom Initialization / Default Scripts | Business Productivity Tools | Domain Access controls | External Chat Integration | Permissions management | Alternative Editing systems | Expanded JS APIs | Streaming Audio integrations | Advanced NPCs | Inventory Systems | Internet-of-Things (IoT) bridges | Additional Multimedia codecs | … ]